Can we agree about one thing? The holidays are a time for gathering with family and friends….and eating. Yes, we tend to eat and eat and eat until we can eat no more. If you are on a diet or trying to lose weight, well that will just have to wait until the New Year. Wait! If that is how you are thinking then, stop because it does not have to be that way. There are ways to eat the foods you love and still maintain your weight. Here are some tips you can use when you are faced with holiday food this year.
1. Eat small portions. You can eat the food you want as long as you eat small portions. Do not overeat. This does take some discipline, but it is well worth it in the long run. The result is no post-holiday regrets when you step on the scale.
2. Exercise. Even if you are on vacation or out of town for the holidays be sure to make time to get in some type of exercise each day. One way to make this easier is to do some simple exercises like lunges, squats and walking for just ten minutes in the morning and evening. Also, if you can, lift some free weights – this helps burn fat faster.
3. Eat breakfast. Do not skip breakfast because you are going to have a big dinner. Skipping breakfast will only make you hungrier and you will overeat. Eating breakfast will help jump start your metabolism and keep you in control when dinner rolls around.
4. Bring or make dessert. Whether you are going to someone’s house or hosting make the dessert yourself. This way you can prepare a dessert that uses less sugar and is healthier for you.
5. Mindset. This is probably the most important tip. The way you think directly affects what you do. If you think you can eat whatever you want, then you will. Unfortunately, this will cause you to overeat, gain weight and then feel guilty. Do not go down that path. Instead take control and think about how the food you want to eat will impact you in the future. Thinking about that before you are faced with the holiday treats will make it easier to resist temptation.
By using a few of these tips, you can enjoy the holiday foods and still maintain your weight. Keep in mind that the holidays are not a time to splurge, but a time for moderation. You can do it!
Happy Holidays from Metro MediSpa.